UW-Green Bay goalkeeper Kyle Ihn (Kettle Moraine) was named to the Premier Development League Team of the Week after helping Kokomo Mantis FC shut out the St. Louis Lions 2-0 in its inaugural match last Friday in Indiana.
Ihn, who started 17 of the Phoenix's 18 games in 2015 and posted five shutouts, stopped both shots he faced for the clean sheet for Mantis FC.
"This was great on an individual level, but also from the team standpoint," Ihn said in a news release. "I honestly didn't have to do too much, as my defense was very strong in front of me. This clean sheet is for all of us."
Kokomo midfielder and captain Bryan Ciesiulka (Marquette), who played with USL club Saint Louis FC last season, had an assist in the victory. Mantis FC is owned by Milwaukee Wave owner Mike Zimmerman's MKE Sports & Entertainment group, and Marquette men's assistant coach Marcelo Santos is the team's head coach.
- Five players with state ties are on the roster for the Chicago Fire Under-23 team, which will be playing in the fourth annual U.S. Soccer National Amateur Championship this weekend in Chattanooga, Tenn. The Fire, representing the PDL, will face Pennsylvania's West Chester United, the reigning U.S. Adult Soccer Association Open Cup champions, in a semifinal Friday night. Host and defending champion Chattanooga FC, the National Premier Soccer League representative, takes on Kansas' Quinto Elemento – last year's USASA Amateur Cup champions – in the other semifinal. The losing teams will play in the consolation match Saturday, and the winners will vie for the Hank Steinbrecher Cup in the final. Forward Connor Alba (Waukesha Catholic Memorial) and midfielder Louis Bennett II (Shorewood) from Marquette, goalkeeper Adrian Remeniuk and forward Mark Segbers from UW and Loyola midfielder-forward Brody Kraussel (Muskego) are all playing with the Fire Under-23s this summer.
- Bradley goalkeeper Logan Ketterer (Racine Prairie School) made three saves for the shutout as the Ocean City Nor'easters blanked the host Baltimore Bohemians 3-0 in their PDL opener Sunday in Bel Air, Md.
- Defender Peter Xiong (Fond du Lac/Marian) scored a pair of goals, both on free kicks in the first half, as the Minnesota Twin Stars held off La Crosse Aris 5-4 in an NPSL Midwest Region Central Conference match Sunday in Minnetonka, Minn. On Twitter: @pkmx10
- Grant Stoneman (UW) scored the final goal as Lansing United topped the host Dayton Dynamo 2-0 in an NPSL opener May 13. Stoneman, who has played all 270 minutes on the backline for Lansing, made 15 appearances (nine starts) for the Badgers in 2014 but didn't see any game action last fall and has transferred to Loyola (Ill.) for 2016.
- UW midfielder Rose Lavelle, who is set to report to U.S. women's national team training camp Friday in Denver, had a goal and an assist Sunday as the Dayton Dutch Lions doubled up Fire and Ice SC 4-2 in a Women's Premier Soccer League opener.
- The four-team Division 1 field is set for the Madison Soccer Association playoffs, while three of four spots are accounted for in the Division 2 bracket heading into the final matches of the regular season. Madison United (10-4-1) can move ahead of Madison Fire Red (9-2-5) and claim the top seed in Division 1 with a win over Paradigm on June 5, while Madison Fire Black (7-4-5) and Deportivo (8-6-2) will be the No. 3 and 4 seeds for the June 12 semifinals. Epic FC (9-4-2) clinched the No. 1 seed in Division 2, ahead of Vilas Rangers FC (7-7-2) and FC Metro (6-6-4). The Bulldogs (4-6-6) currently are fourth, but Hotspur (5-8-2) could leapfrog them and claim the final playoff berth by beating Epic FC. The Division 2 semifinals are June 10, with both finals scheduled for June 17. All MSA games this spring are at Goodman Pitch at Reddan Soccer Park in Verona. MSA schedules, results, standings
- The Northern Wisconsin Soccer League kicked off its 2016 season May 15, with six teams in the Premier Division and six more in Division I. Green Bay Team Miller and the Neenah Boom have won both of their matches in the Premier, while Westchester United has done the same in Division I. NWSL schedules, results, standings