Laura Atkinson (Oregon) and Amber Davis (Milton) played four seasons together at Western Illinois. This summer, the Wisconsin natives are teammates again, playing with the Issaquah SC Gunners in the Women's Premier Soccer League.
The Gunners claimed the Northwest Conference title on Tuesday night, beating AC Seattle 3-0 in Tukwila, Wash., to earn a spot in this weekend's West Region playoffs in Redondo Beach, Calif.
Issaquah (7-2-0) will face the California Storm (7-1-2) in Saturday's second semifinal, after Beach FC (12-0-0) takes on the North Bay Wave (7-2-1). The winners will meet Sunday for the regional championship and a berth in the WPSL national semifinals July 26 in Maryland.
Atkinson and the Gunners have allowed nine goals on the season, posting five shutouts in the process, while Davis has two goals and an assist – they both wrapped up their college careers with the Leathernecks last fall.
- UW's Genevieve Richard made eight saves, but the Laval Comets dropped a 1-0 decision to K-W United in a USL W-League Central Conference playoff match Tuesday night in Waterloo, Ontario. For the season, Richard allowed 11 goals in 13 matches and posted six clean sheets for the Comets (6-5-2).
- UW-Milwaukee's Laurie Bell helped set up the first goal as the Ventura County Fusion of the USL Premier Development League stunned Scottish club Rangers 3-1 in a friendly Tuesday night in Ventura, Calif. Bell chipped a ball down the left side for Duran Stanley to run on to, and Jordan Vale finished off Stanley's cross to give the Fusion the lead in the 42nd minute.
- Defender Blake Jones (Green Bay Southwest) played all 90 minutes as the St. Louis Lions blanked the Thunder Bay Chill 1-0 in a PDL match Tuesday in Faribault, Minn. The game was played at Shattuck-St. Mary's, where Jones played his final two seasons of high school soccer before heading to the University of Hartford.
- Goalkeeper Adrian Remeniuk, an incoming UW freshman, is playing with the Chicago Fire at the USL Super-20 North American Championships this weekend in Bradenton, Fla. The Fire, who were 7-1-2 during the regular season, opened National Division group play with a 2-2 draw against North Carolina's Triangle FC today and face New Jersey's Ironbound SC on Friday and Pennsylvania's Junior Lone Star SC on Saturday. Placement matches are scheduled for Sunday.
- A reminder that the Wisconsin Soccer Leagues Major and First Division finals are Saturday night at Milwaukee School of Engineering's Viets Field. The top-seeded Croatian Eagles (14-1-1) will try to beat No. 2 seed Milwaukee Sport Club (12-4-0) for the fourth time in all competitions this season in the Major final at 7 p.m., having won the teams' regular-season meetings 2-0 and 1-0 and prevailing 3-1 after extra time in the Wisconsin Amateur Cup final. In the opening match, the fifth-seeded Azteca United Reserves (14-4-3) look to avenge their lone loss of the spring season when they face No. 2 seed North Shore United (17-3-1) in the First Division final at 5 p.m. The Azteca United Reserves have gone 11-0-1 since a 4-0 loss to North Shore United in a spring opener on April 13. Admission is $3 for adults (children 12 and under are free), and there will be a post-game party at Upper 90 Sports Pub at 322 W. State St. with food and drink specials.